Whether you are a competitor, teacher or supporter, competition days can be incredibly emotional and exhausting!
Today we will look at a few simple ways in which we can remain cool, calm and collected during competitions.
- Plan your day
You know yourself better than anyone else. What is it that you need today to ensure you are cool, calm and collected? Perhaps a time of quiet before comps? A healthy breakfast? Remaining occupied by volunteering your time? Ensure bags are packed in advance, arrive on time, if not, a little early and have suitable accommodation in place to avoid stressful trips home after a big day.
2. Fuel Your Body
As we have mentioned be sure to have a healthy breakfast. Fuel your body throughout the day in a way that will ensure your blood sugar levels are healthy and you have ample energy.
3. Keep Caffeine to a Minimum.
Perhaps coffee energizes you? Or perhaps you are better off leaving the coffee run until after comps.
3, Keep Siblings Occupied
Bringing siblings along to an event can be a huge deal.
- Consider ensuring your children are in your club uniform. This way they will be easily recognizable and easier to find.
- Pack their lunch in advance so you know at any time throughout the day there will be snacks and fluids to keep your young ones nourished and hydrated.
- Have a few activities ready to go. For example, coloring in, a seek and find book like “Where’s Wally?” or activities that are quiet but time consuming. Crochet, knitting, string games, origami, word searches or computer apps are all possibilities.
- Be sure your children have ample time to play outside. By ensuring your younger children have time to burn some energy they will be more likely to sit quietly for a longer period of time when you need them to.
- Play “Physie Judges”. Include notepads and pens for the older kids who will remain occupied by writing down the numbers of the competitors they like and compare their selections to the actual results.
Use music as a way to influence your mood. By playing positive and calming tracks throughout the day you can practice remaining cool, calm and collected.
5. Keep Busy
Is there a way you can channel your energy to assist others? Can you help with the canteen, hair and make up, photography, recording results in your program or keeping other club members up to date with the latest results?