One of the great things about physie is that performance wear is relatively affordable. You can select just one leotard to wear to all performances throughout the year! Expensive footwear and elaborate costumes are not needed for physie.
Here are just a handful of tips to help you select the best leotard for you!
1. Champion Girl/Champion Lady competitions are all about being the best individual on the day. Your leotard should draw the eye of the judges and allow you to look your best!
2.Think about a colour that will suit your skin, your hair and the venue. Ask your teacher if the stage has a black, timber or white background or consider a leotard that will stand out at any venue.
3. When choosing a leotard style, be mindful of the shape of your body and how the design enhances your best features. Ask your teacher for advice on which styles will suit. And try, try, try! Try on day allows you to try on all the designs. Quite often, the leotard you least expect is the most flattering. Here are a few questions you can ask yourself when looking for your ideal leotard.
Have I a long or short neck? Straight or curvaceous hips? Broad or narrow shoulders? A long or short body? A larger or smaller bust? A petite or solid frame?
4. For younger competitors particularly, ensure your leotard is comfortable. On competition days you will be in their leotard for a number of hours. Some younger competitors may be irritated by thin straps, textured fabric or be tempted to play with diamantes.
5. Notice the seams of the garment. Seams create the shape required to flatter the figure by creating lines that contour the body. By taking notice of these lines you may recognise the leotard that best compliments you body shape.
6. Take paper and pencils to sketch a few of the designs. Shade them in using different colour schemes to help you visualize your ideas.
7. Above all, find a leotard you feel good in. If you feel good stepping out on the stage you will perform with enthusiasm and confidence!